A brief summary of Spyken’s history
It is a rather refreshing fact that the origins of Spyken started at a party, the autumn of 1847. A couple of newly examined teachers were talking about the future and one of them asserted that, if he was to stay in Lund, he would open a private school.
The idea became a reality when Realskolan in Lund opened for its first term 1 February 1848! The school had then only 15 students, compared to today’s approximate sum of 1 100 students.
The school has lived a changeable life at different addresses and even changed names several times. What is called today Spyken, was actually from the start Realskolan in Lund, but has also been called Lunds Privata Elementarskola och Strömbergskolan. The school changed name to Spyken in 1986 in conjunction with the inauguration of the premises. The school was for long informally called Spyken, but never officially assumed the name, until 1986.