Newly arrived migrants of upper secondary school age

As a newly arrived, you have the right to start upper secondary school at Lund municipality if you meet the following requirements: - You are a registered resident and have not yet turned 20 or - You are not a registered resident, have not yet turned 18, and are an EU/EES citizen, asylum seeker, expatriate Swede or an undocumented migrant.

Upper secondary school programmes for newly arrived

A youth that meets all the criteria under the heading “The right to start upper secondary school as newly arrived”, can apply to an upper secondary programme at a school in Lund, both private and public schools. At the public schools, most newly arrived students are offered the introduction programme, Language introduction.

Applying to an upper secondary school

Newly arrived students should before applying to an upper secondary school, register themselves at LundaVälkomsten. After that, an application to an upper secondary school can be sent in.

More information about LundaVälkomsten

The responsible municipality

The municipality in which the student is living or residing is called a temporary municipality of residence. The temporary municipality of residence is responsible for and pays for the student’s education. The temporary municipality of residence decides if the student can study in another municipality.

The right to continue upper secondary school

For students that have started their upper secondary education in Lund, these are the following processes:

Moving to another municipality:  If a student moves to another municipality, the student can still continue their upper secondary school education in Lund upon approval from the new municipality.

For more information see the heading “The responsible municipality”


Non-registered students over 18: A non-registered student that has started an upper secondary school and turned 18 has the right to finish their upper secondary programme according to their study plan, but does not have the right to change from an introduction programme to a national programme.

Students in compulsory school turning 18

Students in compulsory school must start their upper secondary education before they turn 18.


Registered resident
Registration of residence is the fundamental population registration in Sweden. The Swedish Tax Agency manages registrations. Many rights and obligations are connected to one’s registered status and where one is registered. For example, the registered person has the right to apply to upper secondary school before 20, and after that the right to adult education.

A person that is a citizen in an EU-state or a EES- country, that is to say Norway, Island and Liechtenstein.

A foreign citizen that has arrived in Sweden and requested protection but their claim has not yet been finally settled by the Swedish Migration Agency and/or the migration court.

Expatriate Swede
An expatriate Swede is defined in the Education act as a student with legal guardians that ordinary reside abroad and with at least one legal guardian with Swedish citizenship.

Undocumented migrant
Undocumented migrant is a person that resides in Sweden without permission, that is to say, without the support of an authoritative decision or the constitution. To have an undocumented status does not mean one lacks identification documents.

For more information, see the Swedish National Agency for Education support material Students that are undocumented.