Travel allowance

You can apply for a travel allowance if you are registered in Lund municipality and study an upper secondary education, with at least 6 kilometres commute to school.

Who is eligible for travel allowance?

To receive travel allowance (for example upper secondary card or cash compensation), you must fulfil following requirements:

  • You must be undertaking education at upper secondary school or Komvux.
  • You must have the right to study support or child benefit.
  • Your daily commute between your home and school must be at least 6 km in distance.
  • You should not receive boarding supplement, study grant or apprenticeship salary.
  • You can also apply for additional allowance if you have more than 6 km from your registered address to your closest bus stop.
  • You can get the card up to the spring term of the year you turn 20.

If you live in different homes in Lund municipality, you might have the right to travel allowance if you have 6 km to school from any of your homes. The application form can be found at the end of the page.

This is how you apply

  • Apply via the e-service
    << Apply for travel allowance
  • Apply using a paper form
    Please fill in your details carefully. The form must be completed in order for us to process it.

If you apply with a paper form, send or leave your application at:

Katedralskolan, Stora Södergatan 22, 222 23 Lund

Lunds kommun, Polhemskolan, Box 41, 221 00 Lund

Lunds kommun, Spyken, Box 41, 221 00 Lund

Gymnasieskolan Vipan, Vipeholmsvägen, 224 66 Lund

Hedda Andersson, Möllegatan 6, 222 29 Lund

If you go to an upper secondary school that is not listed above, send or leave your application to: Utbildningskansliet, Gymnasieantagningen, Box 138, 221 00 Lund

Information on sections in the application form

  • Personal information: Fill in all the information. Check that you have noted the correct address, that is to say, your registered address.
  • Education: Use the names of the school and programme in your letter of admission.
  • Application: You can apply for travel allowance once every academic year.
  • Upper secondary card or cash compensation: The thumb of rule is that you get travel allowances in the form of an upper secondary card.
  • Cash allowance can be received instead of an upper secondary card.  For cash compensation, you must list the person who will be receiving the allowance and attach a bank account evidence.  If you as a student are 18 or older, you can put your name as the allowance receiver and if you are underage, the allowance is sent to the legal guardian noted in the application. In some cases, you can list another guardian.
  • Sign the application: If you are 18 or older, you can sign the application yourself. If you are underage, the application must also be signed by your legal guardian.

If you have moved, interrupted or haven’t started your studies

If you move, interrupt or don’t start your studies, you are no longer eligible for a travel allowance. You must then return the upper secondary card or cash compensation you received, for the remaining period.

If you have consciously provided us with misleading information, you must return the upper secondary card or the money you have received.

Appeal a decision

A student whose application for travel allowance has been unsuccessful, can appeal the decision. Send your written appeal to the Education Committee in Lund municipality. Decisions about your appeal is made by the administrative court in Malmö.  The appeal should include an account of what decision you want changed and how you want the decision changed. We should receive your appeal within three weeks from the date you receive the decision.

Related information


Education Department

Postal address:Box 138, 221 00 Lund
Visitors address:Stora Södergatan 47, Lund
Telephone (switchboard):046-359 50 00

Opening hours:The office of the Education Department is open Monday - Friday 8am - 12am, 1pm - 3.30pm.

Education Department

Postal address: Box 138, 221 00 Lund
Visitors address: Stora Södergatan 47, Lund
Telephone (switchboard): 046-359 50 00

Opening hours: The office of the Education Department is open Monday - Friday 8am - 12am, 1pm - 3.30pm.